New to the Industry? Check out our Mature Student Travel Program
To educate mature students on the technical aspects of selling travel who already have the curiosity and passion for travel through first-hand experience, and provide real time training based on demand for staff in our branch offices.
Our ideal students have the following background and skill:
- 35-50 years of age
- have travelled extensively (usually once or twice a year) to the south and Britain/Europe; other destinations an additional benefit
- keen knowledge of geography and travel routings (ideally currently researches own vacation)
- previous experience that involved working with public
- organizing activities either as a volunteer in the community or a paid position outside the industry
- basic computer skills (i.e. Outlook)
- sales or service oriented nature
- attentive to detail; an organizer
- enjoys people contact … comfortable making new acquaintances … effective within a team atmosphere
- enthusiastic about travel
The above criteria would be assessed in a formal application and interview process.
The Mature Student Program will train mature students on the essential skills that will enable them to be immediately productive on our systems. Additionally students will be trained to meet the standards of service and best practices that have been entrenched in the culture of the company.
Total recommended training hours are twelve days which may be spread over two or more months. Timing between courses may be flexible pending speed trainee is learning and availability of trainers and trainees at different times. More than one trainer may be involved and full days may be split up in two or three sessions in the evenings.
Primarily conducted during the Spring and Summer months when our in house trainers are less busy with their own clients.
(c) In-branch Training in Addition to Formal Training
Students will obtain practical experience in Maritime Travel branches applying specific skills and knowledge acquired in formal training through real exercises in the branch. Time in the branch will be scheduled at different times throughout the course enabling students to become familiar and more comfortable with daily operations and culture in a branch shop.
A minimum total of four to six days would be spent in the Branch over and above the 12 days of formal training.
In addition, the student will receive intermittent feedback from the branch team that would positively influence their overall development and better prepare them for a working position.
Students are identified and introduced to clients as trainees.
(d) Trainee Incentive
Trainees will be paid for time training and branch shadowing (approximately 3 weeks) subject to remaining with Maritime Travel for a minimum of one year.